Kevin Trudeau: The FTC is really, really mad now...sort of...well, maybe not really
This coming week, on Friday, July 26 at 2:00 PM, serial scammer Kevin Trudeau is due back in court to continue hearings on the Federal Trade Commission's case(s) against him. I haven't been able to find out yet if he has returned from his mission in Canada -- a mission for which his aged parents put up their 60-year-old home in order to secure a bond for his release -- but I was able to find another ream of court documents, filed this past week, on PACER.gov. [UPDATE, 23 July: Apparently he did return on July 10 and handed in his passports. ~CC]
On July 15, several documents were filed regarding the civil case (1:03-cv-03904, before Hon. Robert W. Gettleman), including hundreds and hundreds of pages of exhibits. (I shared them on a couple of Facebook forums the other day, but feel they belong on this Whirled too.) I still haven't been able to plow through all of the pages, but one that I though y'all might find interesting is titled, "Plaintiff's Post-Hearing Brief in Support of Motion to Hold Defendant Trudeau in Contempt for Violating the June 2, 2010 Order, Incarcerate Him, and Order Him to Provide An Accounting of and Turnover Assets."
Essentially, this is the FTC's reiteration of all the reasons that KT has utterly failed to prove that he is unable to pay the $37.6 million fine the FTC says he owes. They are farting in the general direction of all of those thousands of pages of documents his legal team has been throwing their way, and are still claiming that incarcerating Katie is the only way to get him to cough up the dough. Or might be, unless the court decides otherwise. Or, as the document concludes in Part V, "Relief":
Trudeau is a triple contemnor who will not comply with the Court’s order that he compensate his victims unless the Court forces him. Accordingly, the FTC asks the Court to incarcerate Trudeau immediately until one of three conditions is satisfied: (1) Trudeau fully complies with the Court’s Order To Pay; (2) the Court finds that continued incarceration no longer serves a coercive purpose; or (3) Trudeau completes a full accounting and turns over all assets that he controls. With respect to the accounting, the FTC further asks that the Court order the FTC to nominate an appropriately qualified independent accounting firm, that Trudeau pay to engage that firm, and that Trudeau, as well as all the companies he controls, cooperate fully with the firm (including any requests for information it makes).I've uploaded that document to Filesend, and you can download it by clicking here (filename: Trudeau-civil-case-Document-716-07-15-13.pdf (124.45 kB))
But just in case you really think that this is it for Katie, and that the FTC is really, really putting its foot down this time, take a look at this document filed on October 15, 2012, nine months previous to the one cited above. It says a lot of the same things that the July 15, 2013 document says. (Link courtesy Salty Droid, in his still-highly-relevant November 2012 post, "Caging Kevin Trudeau.")
And if you really have a lot of time to waste and are truly interested in this case, there's a 366-page document, filed as an attachment to the July 15, 2013 doc above, that includes the transcripts of his May 21, June 26, and June 27 hearings. You may recall the May 21 hearing was the one where he invoked his Fifth Amendment rights nearly 400 times. (Let's just say the FTC was not impressed.)
I uploaded that long document too, and you can download it here (filename: Trudeau-civil-case-Document-716-1-attachment-07-15-13.pdf (1.46 MB))
Meanwhile in the criminal case (1:10-cr-00886, before Hon. Ronald Guzman), an order was filed on July 16. It was short and simple:
The parties have previously been ordered to submit all pretrial motions by August 13, 2013 (Dkt # 57). That order is now expanded to include proposed jury instructions. The parties are ordered to submit on or before August 13, 2013 a full set of proposed jury instructions with citations to supporting law and arguments for any proposed non-pattern instructions. The parties should come prepared to discuss jury instructions at the August 20, 2013 pretrial conference.
So apparently they're still planning to go ahead with the criminal contempt trial. But I'm still thinking that True-dough will not end up in jail, as much as the very daft Mocktor Lenny Coldwell might like to see him there, and has been predicting KT's imminent incarceration at least since last October. Not surprisingly, Loony is all hot and bothered over the July 15 doc, (forgetting how similar it is to the one filed last October 15), though apparently in order to keep it seekrit from "hater" bloggers, he is posting exclusively on Abe Husein's Facebook page -- from which most of the "hatters" and "loosers" are blocked -- rather than on his own blog, which is publicly viewable. And so the story goes, on and on and on and on...
More True-dough on this Whirled:
- July 2013: Kevin Trudeau: Gone fishing? Or something...
- July 2013: Kevin Trudeau: Rumors, lies, and SNAG support
- June 2013: The Health Ranger: another phony hero in the fight against Scamworld?
- June 2013: Kevin Trudeau in court again: Something big... something really big!... or maybe not
- June 2013: Kevin Trudeau and justice: muddy waters
- May 2013: ABC has fun with Kevin Trudeau, and life goes on
- May 2013: ABC tackles Kevin Trudeau -- again!
- May 2013: Kevie goes a-courtin': pleading the Fifth
- May 2013: Kevin Trudeau: Justice...or just more paper shuffling?
- May 2013: Kevin Trudeau: Countdown to court date (or not)
- May 2013: Kevin Trudeau + Mark Hamilton = GIN with a twist of Neo-stink
- April 2013: Bankruptcy: GIN members await Level 7 while Kevin Trudeau files Chapter 7
- March 2013: Ryan Kath at KSHB-TV does Trudeau/GIN update, Coldwell & Wink continue to scam with cheap imitation of GIN
- February 2013: Kevin Trudeau's GIN: The sky is falling (again)...yawn
- February 2013: Loony Coldwell: Cheesy video and bad spelling
- February 2013: IBMS Master's Society Supreme Loony Coldwell strikes again
- February 2013: Faux heroes and hypocrisy in action
- February 2013: Meet the new scam, same as the old scam, Part 2
- January 2013: Vital signs: "Immortal" (former) breatharian Mony Vital dies on GIN cruise
- January 2013: Meet the new scam, same as the old scam, Part 1
- December 2012: 2012 ~ The Whirled goes on
- November 2012: Kevin Trudeau: justice delayed...again
- November 2012: Kevin Trudeau exposé on KSHB-TV: buzz, backlash, and big beginnings
- November 2012: Alien nation: just how crazy is Kevin Trudeau (not to mention his sheeple)?
- November 2012: Kevin Trudeau: KSHB-TV undercover investigation
- November 2012: Kevin Trudeau gets some more mainstream lovin'
- October 2012: Evil has not won
- October 2012: Kevin Trudeau: Rats in our heads, GIN down the toilet...and life goes on
- October 2012: Kevin Trudeau: The shape of things to come?
- September 2012: Leonard Coldwell and Fred Van Liew: Pot, meet kettle
- August 2012: Truth is better than GIN any day
- July 2012: Drunk on GIN, and you can too!
- July 2012: Kevin Trudeau's GIN: part of the big sick machine
- July 2012: Independence Daze
- May 2012 (updated September 2012): Paging Dr. C: Bernd bridges in Deutschland?
- May 2012: Can alien DNA save Kevin Trudeau's GIN?
- May 2012: Does a canary with a GIN hangover sing as sweetly?
- April 2012: Viva Lost Wages: Sin City Become GIN City for a weekend
- February 2012: A. Rose by any other name would shill as sweet
- December 2011: True-dough updates: Bad poetry for KT, hate mail for CC
- November 2011: A jumpsuit for Jimmy
- August 2011: First Amendment Stuporhero
- August 2011: Everything old is Nouveau again (or, Neo-scam by any other name) -- Part 2 of 2
- August 2011: Calling all lazy men: let's build a pyramid together!
- August 2011: Everything old is Nouveau again (or, Neo-scam by any other name), Part 1 of 2
- June 2011: Holy Guacamole! True-dough's racist rants
- June 2011: For he's a jolly good felon: True-dough speaks out for Death Ray
- December 2009 (amended several times in 2010): Illuminutty: the secret brotherhood of the chronically gullible
- November 2009: How to take over the world
- July 2009: Horse farts and related matters
- January 2009: Mr. Fire meets up with true dough