Monday, November 12, 2007

Warning: mature content

Dear Ones, I hate to admit it, but Whirled Musings is not, as I had surmised in the PS to my post the other day, "a (mostly) PG-rated blog." I honestly thought that my diligent efforts to shun obscenities and really naughty pictures would put me in the category of "PG-13," if not exactly a family-friendly "G." WM is certainly NOT written for kids, but I thought I kept things pretty tame here – an "R" rating at worst.

Boy, was I in for a shock. Yesterday I stumbled across a really cool blog (more on that in a moment), and I noticed the blog had one of those "Ratings" widgets, like those used by the US film industry. The widget linked to a site where you can get your own blog rated, so I followed it and typed in my URL.

Was I surprised when it came back with an NC-17 rating for WM. The site explained it thusly:

This rating was determined based on the presence of the following words:

  • hell (7x)
  • pain (6x)
  • sex (4x)
  • sexy (3x)
  • dangerous (2x)
  • whore (1x)

Not wanting to take the time to go back and re-write all of those blog posts, I elected instead to do the responsible thing by putting a warning notice on my blog, at the bottom of the page where the counter is.

To get your own blog rating, click here. You just might be surprised at how naughty, or how nice, your blog is – at least as defined by a word-searching 'bot.

And as for the (allegedly R-rated) blog on which I found this link, it's a delightful work called, "Crushed By Inertia," penned by a young guy who's a social critic, amateur movie critic, aspiring screenwriter, and one of the creators of a "human-powered" search engine called Mahalo (check it out). The blog came up in my Google search when I typed in the name of an individual I know, along with the words, "Phony degrees." I was delighted to find yet another criticism of The Secret. This one was written nearly a year ago, but I got a kick out of it and thought you might too. Here's the link to the Secret post.

As they say... "Enjoy!"

And go ahead...don't be afraid...run your own blog(s) or MySpace pages or web site(s) through the "Ratings" meter. Let me know your results.

PS ~ That's not me in the pic.
PPS ~ I am really miffed at that Ratings bot. I KNOW I have used the word "whore" more than once on my blog (not counting in this post).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ack! I got an R and thought I was PG too. I think I'm in denial or something.

Cosmic Connie said...

You and me both, Elsa. On the other hand, it could be that the bot that runs that site is a little batty. "Crushed by Inertia," the blog where I found that "ratings" link in the first place, was supposedly rated "R," but that guy uses the F word, sh--, and all kinds of stuff. It could have been that at the time he got his "rating" his blog didn't have those words, but it does now. In any case, I'm not too worried about it. I've survived the wrath of the Secretrons, so an NC-17 is NBD.

Anonymous said...

PG-13

This rating was determined based on the presence of the following words:

* death (8x)
* shoot (4x)
* pain (2x)
* dangerous (1x)

Whatever!

Cosmic Connie said...

Yeah, Lana, I always thought your blog was teetering on the edge of dangerousness... but you used the word "shoot?" That's a bit risky, even for you. :-)

Anonymous said...

I HAVE to keep my blog G-rated. What if my mom reads it?!

Actually, I think I scared her away even with all the clean language. :-)

Cosmic Connie said...

But I bet she's proud of you anyway.

Anonymous said...

Hope so!