Saturday, February 24, 2007

Pizza pan Mary enthralls thousands

I don’t know why I’m so negative and whiny (as the Secretrons keep pointing out to me). After all, miracles and wonders are all around me. In fact, another miracle has just manifested in my own fair city.

This past Ash Wednesday, a humble cafeteria worker beheld a sacred splotch on a pizza pan (pictured here). Now thousands are flocking to a makeshift shrine at the home of a PTA member from Pizza Lady’s school. They're all coming to see the splotch, which they believe is an image of the Virgin of Guadalupe. They are asking the splotch for all sorts of favors and healing of illnesses and such.

These are the kinds of things that make me feel so unholy. To tell the truth, Our Lady of Guadalupe is not what I see when I look at the image. And a different kind of healing comes to mind.

But maybe that’s just me.

PS - Eventually I'll get around to applying labels to my posts for easy cross-referencing, but for now, if you'd like to read more of my profound ruminations on miracle items, here's a post I wrote last August.

PPS - Regarding my interpretation of the image above: I realize there are various sacred traditions surrounding that image too, but my guess is that these traditions are not observed by the visitors to the Shrine of the Holy Splotch. And I'd also be willing to bet that if someone were actually to try to practice one of these other religions at this particular shrine, they'd get the holy crap slapped out of them.

No comments: